Wednesday, April 7, 2010
I have been wondering if there is such a thing as a work life balance. I know in today's world it is very tough to have such a balance. A lot of companies talk about how their companies strive for the perfect work life balance for it's employees and actually are sincere about it. In the end a lot of employees are still trying to chase the perfect work life scenario. According to the former head of General Electric Jack Welch in a Wall Street Journal article from July 2009, ""There's no such thing as work-life balance," Mr. Welch told the Society for Human Resource Management's annual conference in New Orleans on June 28. "There are work-life choices, and you make them, and they have consequences." He also went on to say " you could be passed over for promotions if you are not there in the clutch."
I can justify working long hours and Saturday. The only way I can justify this is that I am doing it for my family. When I look around at the things I have, none of this would be possible without a good paying job which takes a lot of commitment and dedication. I know things around me are materialistic and that is not what matters to me. A healthy family is all that matters to me.
According to Web MD there are 5 tips for a better work life balance :
1. Figure out what really matters in your life -The important point here is to figure out what you want your priorities to be, not what you think they should be.
2. Drop unnecessary activities -By making a concrete list of what really matters to you, you may discover you're devoting too much time to activities that aren't a priority, and you can adjust your schedule accordingly.
3. Protect your private time -You would probably think twice before skipping out on work, a parent-teacher conference, or a doctor's appointment. Your private time deserves the same respect.
4. Accept help to balance your life-Allow yourself to rely on your partner, family members, or friends -- anyone who can watch the kids or run an errand while you focus on other top priorities.
5. Plan fun and relaxation- Fun and relaxation are an essential part of living a well-balanced life
Do you have a good work life balance?