Sunday, August 30, 2009
Saturday, August 29, 2009
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
I was reading one of my dad's chapters in his memoirs last night. The chapter was called "Exhilarating Moments." Like my dad I have had the same similar moments . My dad mentions his exhilarating moments. I will post exactly as he has written them:
- Seeing my first son born.
- Seeing my other children born.
- Buying our first house
- Coaching my kids.
- Taking trips together.
- Watching our children grow.
- Watching our children do well in school and in college.
- When I met my wife has to be the greatest thing that has happened in my life.
I have also had similar exhilarating moments in my life. Mine are listed below:
- Marrying my wife Veronica.
- Seeing Monica born .
- Seeing Mia born.
- Seeing Sofie born.
- Buying our first house
- Watching my young daughters do well in school. Two in elementary school now.
- Have not done much traveling with the family but I am hopeful.
More exhilarating moments to come.
Monday, August 24, 2009
Sunday, August 23, 2009
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
- Con Air
- Dusk till dawn
- Bubble Boy
- Spy kids movies
- The Devils rejects
- Reindeer Games
At this family get together he was very nice . He was sitting at the table and answered all the family's questions about Hollywood. I was able to get a few questions in about Con Air and what it was like to work with John Cusak. He also loved meeting my kids and even posed for a picture with me and all of my daughters. And yes he has those tattoos.
Danny Trejo is related to my wife's family. I have met him a couple of times now. I read where he is currently filming the Robert Rodriguez movie Machete in Austin with Robert De Niro , Lindsey Lohan and reports are that Jonah Hill will be cast.
Slice them up good Danny!
Monday, August 17, 2009
- Fast Times at Ridgemont High- This was actually a book based on Cameron Crowe's life experience going undercover as a high school senior and writing about it in this book. This movie launched the careers of Sean Penn,Phoebee Cates, Forrest Whitaker, Eric Stoltz and Judge Reinhold.
- Say Anything- This is a classic movie starring John Cusak and Ione Skye. This is a love story about a kick boxer, Lloyd Dobbler (Cusak) and his love for Diane Court (Ione Skye) the over achiever. The subplot revolves around Diane Court's father and his embezzlement of a retirement home.
- Jerry Maguire- This is a movie about a high powered sports agent (Tom Cruise) who is fired after having a moment of clarity in which he writes and distributes a Mission Statement calling for more service to the athletes and less money for themselves. He strikes out to form his own agency. Also starring Cuba Gooding.
- Almost Famous- This a autobiographical about the experiences of a teenage music journalist who goes on the road with an emerging band in the early 1970s.
- Vanilla Sky-a remake of the Spanish thriller Abre los ojos. Starring Tom Cruise and Penelope Cruz.
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
- Perception: See teammates as collaborators, not competitors- If you look at any team you can see the potential for competition. To collaborative team members, completing one another is more important that competing with one another. Everybody is perceived as a unit working together.
- Attitude: Be supportive, not suspicious of teammates- People are preoccupied with looking out for their own interests that they are naturally suspicious of just about everyone including their own teammates. Adapt the mind-set where you complete rather than compete.
- Focus: Concentrate on the team, not yourself-Where you focus your attention says a lot about whether you compete with others or complete them. "True progress in any field is a relay race and not a single event."
- Results: Create victories through multiplication-When you work together with your teammates you can do remarkable things.If you work alone you leave a lot of victories on the table. Collaboration has a multiplying effect on everything you do because it releases and harness your skills but also those skills of everyone on the team.
So the question remains, Are you a collaborative team player? If so, you carry these traits.
- You think win-win-win- When you collaborate with others you win, they win and the team wins.
- Complement others-Get with someone who has strengths in your area of weakness and vice versa.
- Take yourself out of the picture-Get into the habit of what is best for the team.
I think Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's quote " All your strength is in union, all of your danger is in discord," says that we all need to work together for the common good of the company otherwise everything will fall apart.
Sunday, August 9, 2009
My wife loves to read books. She has read several books since we have been married. She has read all the Harry Potter, Twilight, and True Blood books. She has read countless vampire ,wizard and romance book available. She is setting a good example for all of my daughters. I'm not talking about the subject matter because I really don't care about the vampires or wizards. She is setting a example by her love of reading.
I think it is great that we read as a family. I like to read different books too. I read more business and motivational books. Me and my wife try to read a book to our kids every night before bedtime. We take them to the library once a week to check out books. My kids love hanging out at the library.
I know with the summer months reading is the last thing that the kids are interested in. Kids are more interested in swimming and other things. I know families are getting away from reading. Parents need to make their kids read and turn off the television. Kids can get stuck watching television all day if you let them.
According to Jim Trelease author of the New York Times best seller , The read aloud handbook, he lists 10 facts that parents should know about reading:
- Reading is the most important subject in school.
- Across the world, children that read the most read the best.
- Humans are pleasure seekers. We do things over and over again if we like it. So if you want your kids to read more often, make sure they love it more than they hate it. Keep reading .
- Read aloud to them even as infants.
- Listening comprehension comes before reading comprehension.
- Children usually read on one level and listen on a higher level.
- Research shows that children who come from homes with the most print-books, magazines and newspapers have the highest reading scores.
- There is a strong connection between over viewing of television by children and under- achieving of school.
- Have kids watch closed captioning television.
- Have kids listen to audio books.
I think I have the writing part covered for my kids. I am working with my younger kids on basic writing skills . A journal is the best place to start for young kids. I have encouraged my older ones to start a blog, They don't have to go public with it. They can keep it a private blog. Math I don't mess with I leave that to my wife!
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
Tuesday, August 4, 2009
I am now realizing the importance of coffee in my life. I would have to say that within the last 5 years my love of coffee has really taken off. I usually have my wife set the timer on the coffee pot about 7am every morning. Usually the aroma of the coffee makes its way up the the staircase to the master bedroom where it reaches my nose. Ah, the smell of fresh roasted coffee!
I have a cool coffee travel mug that I take with me every morning. It is the right size. Not too big not to little. I don't drink it black. I'm not that brave. I usually have some type of coffee creamer in it. My wife also has a travel coffee mug. We have all kinds of travel coffee mugs. I also have coffee at work. I know some companies are cutting back with expenses and sometimes coffee does not survive the budget cut.
It's funny that that once we reach a certain age a bell goes off in our head. Once that bell goes off ,all of a sudden we like coffee! Coffee is universal. Coffee can be found all over the planet. Coffee goes well with meetings. Coffee goes well in the classroom. Coffee goes well with breakfast , lunch and desert. Coffee goes well in the car. I was wondering are there any health benefits to coffee? I wonder sometimes if we know for sure. We hear that sometimes there are health benefits. We hear that sometimes there are risks involved with coffee. It is like nobody can decide. So I decided I to find out some answers.
There are several websites that state the following:
- Coffee may prevent and treat Alzheimer's
- Coffee may help with diabetes
- Coffee may help with skin cancer
- Coffee helps people with Hepatitis C
I will try and remember these things when I am drinking my next cup of coffee. Whatever the case may be, not only does coffee smell wonderful, there are also health benefits. I hope I never run across a article or website that states coffee is now bad for you. I cannot do without my coffee.
Shameless plug: I love McDonald's coffee.
Sunday, August 2, 2009
I have a large family. I come from a family of six boys(including me) and three girls. We all have busy lives. We all work, we all have kids that are active. There are a lot of ways to communicate these days. You can pick up the landline. You can use your cell phone. You can text. You can send an email. You can instant message.You can also Facebook.
I have a basic Palm phone. It came with the Facebook application in it already. All of my brothers and sisters have some type of phone that gets Facebook. I find it easy to talk to them anytime of the day. They can send me a message through Facebook, they can chat with me. I can also write on their wall and they can comment later.
I also find it useful when it comes to business clients or contacting my field rep. It is good because business clients can get a glimpse into my family life. It can be as basic or personal as someone wants it to be. I know that my Facebook is personal. At my age I don't have anything to hide. It has some pictures of my family. It also has pictures of my large extended family.
Facebook has some fun applications too. You can send one of your Facebook friends a drink, you can join Mafia wars with them, you can take tons of quizzes. I took a Star Trek quiz which was quite entertaining.
How old does one person have to be to have a Facebook account? I don't know. I know my sixth grader has asked me for one. I think she is a bit too young for Facebook. I would not be surprised if my mom and dad ask me to start a Facebook account for them.
I will see you guys. I am going to Facebook now.
Saturday, August 1, 2009