Sunday, December 20, 2009

Taking the kids to the San Antonio Public Library during holiday break

Looking for something to do with the kids during that long holiday break? I know for a lot of us the holiday break means spending time with friends and family. If your kids are like mine I know they can get very restless. When that happens they usually get into trouble. You have already braved the malls for the latest ipod , or that new blue ray dvd player . What to do next? How about taking a break from it all and visiting the San Antonio Public Library .

I am writing this post from the John Igo branch which is located off on 13330 Kyle Seal Parkway and 1604 in Northwest San Antonio. It is one of the San Antonio's newest libraries opened on Dec 8, 2007 . John Igo is a longtime English Professor at San Antonio college.I must admit that the architects with the City of San Antonio were very innovative when it came to designing this library. The structure itself appears to be designed to have all of the latest green innovations around. It is also outfitted with free Wi-Fi . There are two buildings connect by a glass foyer. On the other side of the building are the restrooms and the meeting rooms. Outside, there are a row of tables specifically designed for Wi-Fi or just simply wanting to read outside. There is also a nice trail outside with huge oak trees. (I'm trying to finish this post so the kids can go check out the trail!)

The kids area at this library has plenty of kids books to choose from. There are also computers in this area for kids to log on to. I was going to sit over there with them in that area but the tables are very small. I felt like Andre the Giant (rest in peace) sitting at one of those tables. Kids have full access to the library system as the adults. They can search for their favorite books on the computers and place them on hold. They can also check out the books themselves with the "self check out" computers.

My wife and kids love this library. I must admit that they started coming here before I did. I love watching my kids as they walk in the door . The little ones head straight to the kids section and the computers over there. My older kids head to their sections right away. Bonnie Conner playground is also located next to the library. That was named after a San Antonio City Council woman. My kids love that park too. So if you are looking for a nice little inexpensive getaway I would definitely recommend one of San Antonio's many libraries.

No comments:

Post a Comment