Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A parent's concern about the H1N1 vaccine

I am a little nervous when it comes to the H1N1 vaccine.The H1N1 vaccine is on the way to a school or doctor's office near you. Supposedly some kids will be getting the vaccine at their school or at their pediatrician's office ( If the doctor signed up to give the vaccine). NISD has had plenty of media coverage in regards to the upcommimg implementation of the vaccine. NISD is trying to get federal help for the implementation of the vaccine. NISD spokesperson Pasqual Gonzalez estimates that it could cost about 1 million dollars to hire the medical personnel needed at each school.

I am concerned because I want to know more about the vaccine . I want to know more about the side effects. I read in yesterday's newspaper that there will be normal side effects as a result of this vaccine. I don't know how the media and for that matter the CDC (Centers for Diesease Control) can down play the side effects of the H1N1 vaccine. We are not talking about a vaccine for the measles or the mumps. We are talking about Swine Flu. In this Good Morning America interview it lists the side effects of the Swine Flu vaccine.




If my kids are going to get the H1N1 vaccine, I want to know as much as I can about it. I have four daughters that will need to get the H1N1 vaccine in the next few weeks. I need to be prepared, I need to look for the signs in the GMA piece mentioned above . I want to know how soon I can expect any side effects of this vaccine.



Am I going to let my kids get the H1N1 vaccine? I still don't know. There are too many questions that us parents need to be concerned about. I don't like the fact that the side effects are being downplayed. My kids have all had the regular flu vaccine but we are talking about more of a serious threat than the regular flu. At this point I am still uncertain. Am I being paranoid? Probably. All of us parents need to be paranoid about something like this. After all, these are our babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment