Saturday, September 5, 2009

In denial about needing bifocals

I realize that I am getting a little bit older. When someone is in their 40's (yours truly), the vision starts to go (the hair also starts to go but that is another blog post!) I have been in denial that I need bifocals. When I was a kid getting bifocals meant your were getting old.

My optometrist says I need bifocals ever since I told him that I have been having trouble reading paperwork up close. When I hold anything close to my face to read it is all blurry. The chart I use on my desk everyday is somewhat blurry. I have to hold it at as far away from my face as possible.

Some people my age are fighting with the condition known as "Presbyopia."According to the Mayo clinic's website, Presbyopia is the gradual loss of your eyes' ability to focus actively on nearby objects — is a not-so-subtle reminder that you've reached middle age. A natural, often annoying part of aging, Presbyopia usually becomes noticeable in your early to mid-40s and continues to worsen until around age 60. (Yikes!)

You may become aware of Presbyopia when you start holding books and newspapers at arm's length to be able to read them. If you're nearsighted, you might temporarily manage Presbyopia by reading without your glasses. I really struggle at work reading stuff up close. My optometrist wrote a prescription for bifocals but I decided not to get them. It was a combination of being in denial and the clerk at the local Eyemasters really talking me out of them. I was being talked out of bifocals that I really needed? I hope she was not a supervisor! I just opted for my regular prescription without the bifocals.

According to the clerk at Eyemasters the bifocals can really take a period of adjustment. The clerk went on to say that I needed to pick out a frame that would be suitable for the bifocal lens. I was not going to get a frame that made me look like I stepped out of the 1970's TV show. The larger frame was needed to fit the bifocal lens. There is the lens that is divided in half with the bifocal part on the bottom of the lens and there is the "progressive no line bifocal. Right then and there I told the clerk just to give me my regular prescription. My optometrist also gave me a prescription for contact lenses. I wear my contacts almost every day. I know there is such a thing as bifocal contacts but I hear they are expensive. I think my days of wearing contact lenses may be coming to a end . But I need to take care of business today. I have had enough of not being able to read up close.

I went to Target and bought me a pair of Foster Grant reading glasses. I was not sure what "power" of reading glasses to buy. So I just tried different pairs of reading glasses and practiced reading. I was in the contact lens aisle so I practiced reading some of the labels on the contact lens solution boxes that were on the shelf next to the reading glasses. After trying them out everything seems better. I also read the newspaper and even a few books to my daughters.

I don't like getting old. I know I can't fight the inevitable. My next optometrist visit in January I have decided to go through with bifocals. Wish me luck.

P.S If you see me sprawled all over the floor next to some steps you know why. I am probably getting adjusted to my bifocals. Just peel me off the floor and point me to the fountain of youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment