Sunday, March 14, 2010

Health goal 2010



On my quest to increase my HDL cholesterol from .28 to .40 (normal for men) I went to the local GNC today and purchased some Omega 3 fish oil pills. The girl at the GNC was very knowledgeable so I felt comfortable. My game plan is to exercise 4 times a week and take the Omega 3 tablets daily. I am also determined to eat healthier. At some point I want to get another blood test to see my progress.

According to several websites there are foods I can eat to help me raise my HDL cholesterol.

Fruits and vegetables - onions (half an onion a day), citrus fruit, apples and grapes and dark green vegetables.

Grains- Pick grains that are high in soluble fiber such as whole grains, oats, oat bran, brown rice, legumes and lentils.

Oils-Look for oils that are high in monounsaturated fats such as canola oil or olive oil. Canola oil is tasteless, so it will not affect the flavor of the food.

Omega 3 -include fish, cold-pressed flaxseed oil, safflower oil and sunflower oil.

Soy- Two servings of soy products such as tofu and tempeh a day help increase HDL.

So here is to eating healthy for those of us that need to. I guess I can set a good example for my daughters by eating right and exercising. I have to thank my wife and sister for encouraging me to to get a physical. Without a physical I would have been on a destructive path to heart disease.

Thanks Veronica and Rosie!

No comments:

Post a Comment