Friday, March 12, 2010

So long Mr. Fast Food!

Ok so I mentioned in a earlier post that I had my physical and everything came out great. I gave the two vials of blood and the urine sample. My doctor said that my HDL cholesterol is too low ! I have a confession. Let's say that for the past forty something years I have not been eating the most healthiest food on the planet.

I love fast food. I guess you can say that I used to love fast food because I am no longer going to eat anything I want. From my research the HDL cholesterol, or "good" cholesterol, appears to scour the walls of blood vessels, cleaning out excess cholesterol. It then carries that excess cholesterol -- which otherwise might have been used to make the "plaques" that cause coronary artery disease -- back to the liver for processing.

HDL levels below 40 mg/dL result in an increased risk of coronary atery disease, even in people whose total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol levels are normal. HDL levels between 40 and 60 mg/dL are considered "normal." However, HDL levels greater than 60 mg/dL may actually protect people from heart disease.

According to my lab results from my blood work my HDL came back at 28!!!!!I need to find a way to get my HDL levels up to par. My doctor recommended exercising which I started doing last month. I have been exercising about 4-5 days a week. I have been on using the treadmill and the weights religiously with the hopes of getting my HDL cholesterol up to par. I am also researching what foods and possibly any over the counter supplements I can take.

I will let you know on my progress. I hope to report my some good news soon. I am already craving Whataburger or Carls Jr!

No comments:

Post a Comment