Sunday, May 30, 2010

Letting my little ones experience Spectrum health club


Sundays are usually set aside for me to spend quality time with my daughters.My wife usually works on Sundays which is fine because I usually have to go into work on Saturdays. We usually wake up and go to church and then off to eat lunch with my parents. Today I had the day planned out . I wanted to take them to the gym with me. I did not know that the kids club at Spectrum  was going to be closed so I was forced to take care of them while I worked out.

I had planned on taking my sixth grader to run with me while my two younger daughters played in the kids club. I asked the guy at the front desk if the kids could play on the Internet there where I could watch them and run at the same time. I was able to squeeze in a 5k run before I was forced to cut my run short and tend to my little ones who were roaming throughout Spectrum health club.

I headed over to the weights while my sixth grader finished her run on the treadmill. Is this such a bad thing letting my little ones roam the Spectrum health club ? They were not getting any dirty looks from any other members. After all they were dressed kind of cute and they look like twins. I figure that rather than have the kids sitting at home, they can see people being active by running and working out on the weights. I want to plant the seed early with all of my daughters that exercise and staying active is important in life.

According to kids health.org there are many benefits of exercise. Everyone can benefit from regular exercise. Kids who are active will:

•have stronger muscles and bones

•have a leaner body because exercise helps control body fat

•be less likely to become overweight

•decrease the risk of developing type 2 diabetes

•possibly lower blood pressure and blood cholesterol levels

•have a better outlook on life

Besides enjoying the health benefits of regular exercise, kids who are physically fit sleep better and are better able to handle physical and emotional challenges — from running to catch a bus to studying for a test.

If you can keep the kids near you while you work out. I encourage the experience for kids. Lets get all the kids active and fit as early as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment