Friday, July 31, 2009

Closing of my elementary school


I heard on this news this past week that my elementary school is targeted to be shut down. I am saddened by this news. I attended Mary F. Huppertz located on the westside of San Antonio. I know from experience that if a school is targeted to be shut down, there is nothing that can be done. It is a victim of the numbers game. I fought hard to keep my daughter's pre-school Holy Rosary Catholic school open. That school was located next to St. Mary's University where I attended college.

I fought the good fight. I wrote articles why the school should be kept open. I was interviewed by the St. Mary's University Rattler newspaper. I met with the principle. I was fighting to keep the school open for my babies. I had seen the results in my older kids. I had planned on sending all of my kids to pre-school there. The school closed a few years ago. Now my elementary school is next!

As seen in the media reports the San Antonio Independent school district is not immune to the economic problems facing all Americans. The school district is trying to consolidate some schools and close others. The problem is that a lot of inner city schools are being forgotten about. Young families are moving out of the inner city and into the suburbs. The population of the inner city is becoming a population of senior citizens. There is no growth . All of the growth is outside of loop 1604. They inner city therefore becomes forgotten.

I am sad to see Huppertz closing. I still remember the principle Mrs. Anderson. I remember my P.E Coach Mr. Brown. I have fond memories of my 1st and 2nd grade teachers Mrs.Neely and Mrs. Passmore. I remember my 3rd grade teacher Mrs.Hill (My ears still hurt from my ears getting pulled. Was that legal?) I was in choir with Mrs Moczygamba. I remember the playground and the cafeteria. I lived close enough that I was able to walk home after school.

All of these teachers had a chance to mold me into the person that I am today. I will always carry the memories of this school with me forever.


I miss my lunchbox!

No comments:

Post a Comment